2. Elephants can see in color and have excellent vision. They can also pick up vibrations in the ground through the sensitive pads on their feet.
3. These intelligent animals have the second-largest brain in the animal kingdom, only behind the sperm whale.
4. Despite their large size, elephants are capable of running up to 25 miles per hour for short bursts of speed.
5. They are expert swimmers, and some have been known to travel up to 28 miles in one day while crossing a river or lake.
6. Elephants have an incredible family structure, with a strong sense of community. Clans are made up of up to 20 related females and their young, and are led by the oldest and most experienced female.
8. Elephants are also known to take dust baths, spraying dirt, dust and debris all over their bodies to help keep them cool and hide their scent from predators.
9. Elephants have the longest pregnancy of any mammal, lasting an incredible 22 months.
These facts about elephants are just a few of the many wonderful things about this amazing animal. Hopefully these facts will help bring awareness to their threatened status and help protect these incredible creatures.