One of the most recognizable musicians of all time is Elvis Presley.
Elvis Presley remains one of the most well-known and influential musicians of our time despite having his away more than 40 years ago. Elvis died of a heart attack on August 16, 1977, when he was 42 years old. He continues to be one of the best-selling musicians of all time, and his impact and musical output ensure that his legacy endures.
Here are ten fun facts about Elvis Presley:
1. Jesse Garon Presley, his twin brother, was born 35 minutes before him but sadly passed away in labor.
2. After his father, he was given the middle name Aron.
3. Elvis was an exceedingly introverted and shy child. It took him until he was four years old before he began to speak!
4. In 1954, when Elvis was 19 years old, he made “That’s All Right Mama” his debut single. It would eventually become a huge hit and kickstart his career.
5. From 1958 to 1960, Elvis was a member of the American Army and was stationed in Germany. At the time, he was already a well-known figure. Elvis first met Priscilla Beaulieu when she was 14 years old. The two would later get married in 1967 and have a daughter together, Lisa Marie Presley.
6. For $12.95, at the age of 13, Elvis purchased his first guitar.
7. Love Me Tender, Elvis’ debut film, was released in 1956. For his part in the movie, he received $35,000.
8. At the age of 22, Elvis bought Graceland, a home in Memphis, Tennessee, which would go on to become one of the most well-known tourist destinations worldwide and is now a National Historic Landmark.
9. Elvis appeared in 33 films, including “Viva Las Vegas” and “Jailhouse Rock.”
10. At the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show, Elvis won a talent competition at the age of 13 and received a $5 award.