Antioxidants are molecules that can stop or delay the harm that free radicals do to cells.
Free radicals are chemicals that your body creates as it breaks down food or when it is exposed to radiation and tobacco smoke. Free radical accumulation over time can result in oxidative stress, a type of cell damage that has been connected to a higher chance of acquiring chronic illnesses like heart disease, cancer, and arthritis.
Antioxidants can be obtained from the foods you eat in addition to those that your body naturally produces. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains are foods high in antioxidants.
Here are ten fun facts about antioxidants:
1. Antioxidants remove dangerous chemicals from our bodies known as free radicals that, if left unchecked, might result in significant health issues like cancer and heart disease.
2. They keep wrinkles and other aging symptoms at bay, keeping our skin looking young and healthy.
3. Studies have indicated that antioxidants improve memory and brain function.
4. They increase blood flow throughout the body and ease pain from illnesses like arthritis by reducing inflammation.
5. According to some research, certain antioxidants may help naturally lower blood pressure levels.
6. They assist in maintaining a strong immune system.
7. Antioxidants guard against cellular damage brought on by things like exposure to pollutants.
8. Some antioxidant supplements have been associated to a reduction in body weight.
9. They have been demonstrated to neutralize cold and flu viruses.
10. They don’t even need to be last; they just make us feel nice!