Photo By: Flickr, Source, CC
Edinburgh, Scotland, is a city full of rich history and beauty. A popular tourist destination and the capital of Scotland, it is a must-see while touring in the UK. As well as the historic monuments and landmarks, Edinburgh is also packed with hidden gems sure to delight any traveler. Here are some of the best hidden gems to explore in Edinburgh.
1. Rose Street
Rose Street is a picturesque cobblestone street located near Princes Street in the heart of Edinburgh. Packed with restaurants, pubs, and independent shops, Rose Street is the perfect place to stroll and enjoy a drink or some food. You may even occasionally stumble across a hidden gem tucked away in one of the narrow alleys.
2. The Meadows
The Meadows is a Royal Park located in Edinburgh city center. With beautiful gardens and plenty of green space, it is the perfect place to relax and enjoy nature. During the spring months, the Meadows are in full bloom with beautiful flowers, and some of the best views of the city.
3. Camera Obscura Museum
The Camera Obscura Museum is located at the top of the Royal Mile. An interactive attraction, visitors are treated to beautiful panoramic views of the city as well as interactive scenes and illusions. It is a great place to take the kids and explore something different.
4. Dean Village
Dean Village is located in the heart of Edinburgh, a few minutes walk from Princes Street. With its quaint cobbled streets, it is a great place to stroll and enjoy the beauty of the village. You may even spot a few rowers paddling along the river.
5. Arthur’s Seat
No trip to Edinburgh would be complete without a visit to Arthur’s Seat. The dormant volcano is located in Holyrood park and offers stunning views of the city. It can be reached by a short walk from the city center, or a climb up the many steps of Salisbury Crags. Whether you want to admire the view, or take on a leisurely hike, Arthur’s seat will not disappoint.
So, if you find yourself in Edinburgh, Scotland, don’t forget to check out some of these hidden gems! With its rich history and vibrant culture, Edinburgh is the perfect place to enjoy and explore the beauty of Scotland.
What attractions in Edinburgh, Scotland should I not miss?
1. Arthur’s Seat: A majestic hill located in the heart of Edinburgh, Arthur’s Seat offers stunning views of the city and surrounding countryside.
2. Edinburgh Castle: A medieval castle perched atop a volcano plug in the Edinburgh skyline. This iconic Scottish landmark offers a fantastic view of the city, great photo opportunities, and a glimpse into the nation’s history.
3. Royal Mile: The Royal Mile is the main thoroughfare in Edinburgh’s Old Town and is a fantastic way to explore the city’s many historic sites.
4. Scottish National Gallery: Home to one of the world’s finest collections of modern and contemporary European art, the Scottish National Gallery is a must-visit for any art-lover.
5. Scottish Parliament: Located in a striking modern building, the Scottish Parliament serves as the hub of the country’s devolved government.
6. Holyrood Park: An expansive park in the heart of Edinburgh, Holyrood Park is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy some peace and tranquility.
7. Calton Hill: Calton Hill overlooks the city from the east and gives visitors stunning views of Edinburgh’s skyline and beyond.
8. St. Giles’ Cathedral: This imposing gothic cathedral is one of the oldest churches in the city and a great place to experience Scotland’s incredible religious heritage.