Sharks have lived for millenia and are still the subject of both fascination and fear. Some people are scared of sharks, but others admire them for their strength, intelligence, and beauty. Here are 10 incredibly interesting and mesmerising facts about sharks that you may not have known before.
1. Sharks are found all around the world in various types of marine environments. From the deepest depths of the ocean to the shallow waters near shore, sharks can be found on every continent except Antarctica.
2. Sharks range in size from the dwarf lanternshark, which is only 8 inches long, to the massive whale shark, which can grow to 40 feet long.
3. Sharks have powerful senses; they can smell one drop of blood in an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
4. Sharks have an incredible immune system and can heal from wounds much faster than humans can.
6. Sharks are extremely unique in that they are the only fish to have a horizontal tail; most fish have a vertical tail fin.
7. The majority of shark species give birth to live young while some species lay eggs.
8. Sharks have been around for more than 400 million years, meaning they are older than dinosaurs!
9. Sharks lack a swim bladder which means that they must keep swimming in order to keep from sinking.
10. Sharks generally only attack humans out of curiosity or to protect themselves, so the risk of being attacked by a shark is incredibly low.