Photo By:: Image
10 Fun Facts About the World Around Us
1. There are 1.4 billion cows in the world
2. There are 10 million species on Earth
3. The oldest tree in the world is over 5,000 years old
The oldest tree in the world is believed to be the “Methuselah” – a Great Basin bristlecone pine tree that currently stands in California’s White Mountains and is estimated to be 5,067 years old.
4. The tallest mountain in the world is Mount Everest
The tallest mountain in the world is Mount Everest, standing at a staggering 8,848 meters (29,029 ft) high.
5. We share 98.4% of our genetic code with chimpanzees
Humans and chimpanzees may look very different, but we actually share a surprising amount of genetic information, with close to 98.4% of all DNA being identical.
6. 70% of the Earth is covered in water
Currently, around 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered in water, and with billions of different species living in our oceans, it’s no wonder that so much of our planet remains a mystery.
7. The city with the most billionaires is Beijing
Beijing, China has the highest number of billionaires in the world, with an estimated 100 living in the city.
8. There is a species of fish that can walk on land
9. The world’s longest railway is the Trans-Siberian Railway
The Trans-Siberian Railway is the longest railway in the world, spanning over 9,288 km (5,772 mi).
10. The Earth orbits the Sun at a speed of 108,000 km/h (67,000 mph)
The Earth spins around the Sun at a breakneck speed of around 108,000 km/h (67,000 mph)!
What incredible things can I learn about the world around me?
4. You can study the diversity of cultures around the world and explore the languages, lifestyles, and beliefs of various peoples.
6. You can learn about the physics and mathematics behind how our natural world works, such as the motions of planets and the three fundamental forces in nature.