10 Fun Facts About Our World
1. The Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old.
The oldest discovered rocks on Earth are approximately 4 billion years old. This means that the Earth has been around for over 4 and a half billion years!
2. There are over 7 billion people on Earth.
The population of the world is currently estimated to be around 7.7 billion people. This makes our world an incredibly diverse and interesting place to live in!
3. There are over 5 million different species of plants and animals on Earth.
The number of animal and plant species on our planet is estimated to be around 5 to 30 million. This diversity is one of the many great things about our world.
4. The highest mountain in the world is Mount Everest.
Mount Everest stands at an imposing 8,848 metres above sea level. It’s one of the most awe-inspiring mountains in the world and a great feat of nature.
5. The deepest part of our oceans is the Mariana Trench.
The Mariana Trench is located in the western Pacific Ocean and is an estimated 11 kilometres deep. That’s deeper than any mountain on Earth!
6. One day on Venus is longer than one year on the planet.
Venus rotates incredibly slowly, which means that it has a day that lasts 243 Earth-days. That’s longer than it takes for the planet to orbit the Sun!
7. Ice covers 10% of the Earth’s surface.
The poles are covered in vast sheets of ice, and this ice can cover up to 20% of the planet during the winter months.
8. The world’s largest desert is the Sahara.
The Sahara desert is an enormous 9 million square kilometres in size. It’s so large that it can be seen from outer space!
9. The world’s ocean contains about 20 million tonnes of gold.
The ocean contains a massive amount of gold in its waters, although it is incredibly difficult to extract. Nonetheless, this makes the ocean a true store of natural wealth.
10. The largest living thing on Earth is a fungus.
The world’s largest living organism is the Armillaria Ostoyae, a fungus native to the US that covers over 2,400 acres. It thrives in the dark and damp environment of the forest!
There you have it – 10 fun facts about our world. Our planet is an incredibly diverse and fascinating place. I hope you found these facts as interesting as I did!