10 Fun and Fascinating Facts!
1. The tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
Compared to its size, the tongue is the strongest muscle in the body. It’s surprisingly strong and capable of exerting up to ten pounds of pressure per square inch when tasting, licking, and swallowing.
2. The hottest recorded temperature on Earth was in Death Valley, California in 1913.
Death Valley, California holds the world record for the hottest recorded air temperature—134 degrees Fahrenheit (56.7 degrees Celsius). The temperature was detected on July 10, 1913 at Furnace Creek, in the middle of a three-year-long extreme heatwave in the area.
3. Antarctica is the only continent without reptiles.
Despite being the driest, oldest, and coldest continent on Earth, Antarctica is the only one without reptiles. This is due to its fierce cold climate and the lack of land for the cold-blooded creatures to inhabit.
4. The deepest point in any ocean is the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean.
The Mariana Trench is an 11,034-meter-deep trench located in the Pacific Ocean near the Mariana Islands. It’s so deep that the pressure is a crushing 1,086 bar, which is the equivalent of nearly 8 tons of pressure per square inch.
5. The world’s oldest known tree is almost 5,000 years old.
6. Humans blink approximately 5 million times a year.
Blinking isn’t just a reflex; it’s an unconscious process that’s essential for keeping the eyes moist and healthy. On average, humans blink about 10 times per minute which adds up to about 5 million times a year!
7. The deepest lake in the world is located in Russia.
The deepest lake in the world is Russia’s Lake Baikal, located in the southern part of Eastern Siberia. It has a maximum depth of 1,642 meters, and was formed more than 25 million years ago!
8. The male seahorse is the one who gets pregnant.
9. Mexico City is sinking at one meter per year.
Mexico City is sinking at an alarming rate. The city is built on top of what was once a lake, and is currently subsiding at a rate of one metric per year due to over-extraction of groundwater.
10. The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows.
The Mona Lisa is the most famous painting in the world, but it may come as a surprise to learn that the painting has no eyebrows. This was reportedly the fashion during the Renaissance period and leonardo da Vinci chose to omit them in the painting.